Wednesday, July 5, 2017

9 Things Learned This Past Week

dDGR


1. The only way to move on from something is to focus on yourself. When you focus on it/them or the issue at hand it does nothing but make you more miserable. By putting the focus on you, what you want, what you need, your goals, it gives you a sense of control.

2. If you live in the hood (or in my case “hood adjacent”) you will never get a full night's sleep on the 4th of July (note to self… take the day AFTER instead before off- from here on out)

3. Deep cleaning your house gives you a huge amount of satisfaction and help you feel more refreshed.

4. When you’re at an awkward function (random neighbor of my mom's invited Dominic over to his son’s birthday party), if they offer you a drink TAKE IT. You can be coo with anybody when you’re slightly inebriated.

5. The kids can now where polo style shirts instead of Oxford style as their school uniforms next year. This will be WAY LESS annoying.

6. The mama-bear in me is hella real. Dominic told me one of the daycare subs got in his face, snatched his blanket off him, and then threw it back on him, because he wouldn’t lay still. (BITCH WHAT?!) . To say I went from zero- hood is an understatement. I went OFF , hell I about set it off. What’s rational thinking when it comes to your 6-year-old?

7. There’s a reason God say’s worry about nothing (the above point not withstanding that was all REACT REACT REACT). I wasted a 4 day weekend being depressed and upset, and towards the end of the last day everything was alright. I could’ve spent that time having fun and living. I also realize this with my son’s father. I spent a good 5 years hating, resenting, angry, etc… only for us to end up being friends and all is well. That was a lot of negative energy to waste on dumb stuff. I do this A LOT. I am the most anxious person I know. It’s as though I put the whole world on hold until things resolve in the way I THINK should. It’s so stupid, and never worth all the emotional energy I invest in it.

8. I need a new roof. We got tennis ball sized hail last week (yes really). It dented the crap out of everything. Who doesn’t enjoy their insurance rates going up? At least my car was in the garage, a bunch of people had their windows knocked out.

9. Dominic begged me to make him his own Bitmoji. I caved. Bad idea. I also gave him his own Snap Chat (I am only his friend, nobody give me the parental side-eye). Dominic plays games on my old iPhone, that he uses with wi-fi. He has not stopped sending me Bitmoji's of us together, and also calling me via the video chat from the other room, constantly. I may have to disable this. He told me "Mom, now I can check in on you at work". Nope. 

4 comments

  1. "By putting the focus on you, what you want, what you need, your goals, it gives you a sense of control" ---> YES, YES, YES!

    Seriously, who would have thought that deep cleaning had that type of effect. But whenever I'm done cleaning anything I feel so much better/lighter and like something is accomplished.

    What?! Who does that? Were you able to speak directly to the person who did that to Dom?

    I often wonder how much time we have on earth is spent being upset/depressed/angry ... since our time is so short I wonder why we use so much of it in an agitated state.

    Ugh, roofs. So expensive.

    "Mom, now I can check in on you at work". Nope. ---> Your response to this made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's amazing what it does for your emotional well being to be in a clean space.

      I have no clue why we do that. I think it's the sense of lacking control. And since we can control our negative emotions and if your already down you can't be deflated we hold on for dear life.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could go through this post and individually like all of these points! I swear this was all my life recently.

    I was recently stressed out about my child's daycare situation because of that very thing you mentioned! Do they even screen these daycare workers anymore?? I went into a facility recently to see if it were suitable enough for my daughter and when I got to the counter one of the workers was like "how many I help you?" When I looked down at her hands she had a baggie of weed dangling, not that I have anything against weed, but really? in a daycare? I was disgusted.

    Spending time holding grudges and worrying about other people is something I learned not to do in the last few years. I was spending way too much time stressing out about things beyond my control and to be honest, I realized some people just didn't deserve any type of energy from me because I deserved so much better than to be worrying about them.

    They're still lighting fireworks in my neighborhood! It's annoying :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bag of weed ?! Do that in your OWN recreational time. What was she thinking? Why would you not at least try to conceal it? LOL. UGH I would've been disgusted as well. I hope that facility was NOT suitable enough. Folks are infuriating.

      "I realized some people just didn't deserve any type of energy from me because I deserved so much better than to be worrying about them." <--- THIS. It's hard when you've cared about someone, and you realize that you officially have to become indifferent/neutral for your own sanity.

      It was annoying. They lit them off a few days after in mines too. Jerks!

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© - Emily Jane -. Design by FCD.